Mål og innhald
This course examines the theories and practices of modes of design. The course will be a hybrid overview of theory and design workshop, built around a short series of readings and design exercises. Four historical design practices will be studied:
- The Master/Apprentice Model (medieval to Industrial Revolution)
- The Studio Model (Beaux-Arts to 1960s)
- Technical Rationality (Late Industrialization to Early Information Age)
- Design Thinking (late 1990s to present).
Studenten skal ved avslutta emne ha følgjande læringsutbytte:
- Understand the role that historical conditions played in shaping both ideas and practices of design
- Reflect on their own design practice in relation to the historical development of the field
- Uncovers and understand relevant sources and material.
- Can engage in Improve their critical thinking, research, and writing.
- Engage critically with historical and contemporary theories and practices of design
- Express complex and well-reasoned opinions based on their knowledge of the field
- Communicate professionally about topics in the field.
Krav til studierett
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Each segment of the course will begin with a series of readings and discussion, with a short reaction or analysis paper. The students will then be led through a design exercise appropriate to each time period presented, and be taught each mode of design.
Lecture, discussion, research, writing, in-class exercises.
Submission of each written assignment (four short and one longer research/position paper).
(ved bestått går student opp til vurdering)
Emnet er bestått når alle obligatoriske krav er møtt og godkjent. Det vil si innlevering av skriftlige, obligatoriske krav.