- ECTS credits
- Teaching semesters
- Autumn, Spring
- Course code
- Number of semesters
- English if English-speaking students attend the seminars, otherwise Norwegian
Objectives and Content
The subject gives an introduction to representation theory of finite groups and Lie groups. One central method is to represent groups like the symmetry groups of finite dimensional vector spaces. Such representations are studied by their character.
After completed course, the students are expected to be able to:
- Be able to prove basic results in representation theory
- Recall definitions and terminology related to groups and their representations.
- Determine character tables for concrete cases
- Determine questions related to groups and their representations given the character table.
- Use methods connected to the representation theory for symmetric groups
Semester of Instruction
Irregular, course will be offered if it is on this course list: Workbook: Emneliste for innreisende utvekslingsstudenter (uhad.no)
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Forms of Assessment
The grading scale used is A to F. Grade A is the highest passing grade in the grading scale, grade F is a fail.