Medical Physics in Radiotherapy
- ECTS credits
- Teaching semesters
- Course code
- Number of semesters
- English. Norwegian if only Norwegian students attend
Objectives and Content
Objectives: The course objective is to understand the general theory, concepts and methods used in radiotherapy, including also particle therapy.
Content: The course will provide knowledge into the theory and methods that are applied for treatment of cancer with ionizing radiation both using photons and particles. This will include several subjects with the main being: introduction to the use of external beam radiation therapy, basic physics interactions and dosimetry, particle accelerators for radiation therapy, how to derive a dose distribution including different treatment techniques, dose optimization, basic radio-biological interactions and their impact on treatment and methods for treatment delivery.
On completion of the course the student should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The student should be able to:
- Describe the physical interactions, radio-biological rational and theory behind radiation therapy
- Describe the generation and characterization of a treatment beam
- Understands in detail the different parts in the workflow for planning and delivery of radiation therapy treatments
- Account for advantages and disadvantages with different treatment techniques and types of radiation
The student should be able to communicate his/hers acquired knowledge in oral presentations as well as through written exercises. Through practical exercises the student will practice and govern knowledge of how and what to consider when creating a treatment plan.
Level of Study
Semester of Instruction
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
Teaching and learning methods
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
Forms of Assessment
- Exercises will count for 20% of the final grade. All exercises must be submitted to qualify for the final exam
- Oral exam will count for 80% of the final grade