Mål og innhald
- Basic financial concepts such as: present value, the opportunity cost of capital, investment decisions, risk and return and market efficiency.
- The impact of corporate financing, including payout policy, on investment decisions and firm value.
- Agency conflicts between shareholders, managers and debtholders.
- Executive compensation and other systems designed to reduce the extent of agency conflicts.
- Information asymmetries between managers and shareholders, and their impact on corporate financing and investment policies.
- Raising capital
- The implications of behavioural finance for corporate behaviour.
- Market efficiency and event study methodology
- Valuation of stocks
- Rationales for and implications of merger and acquisition activity
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- can explain basic financial concepts such as: present value, the opportunity cost of capital, investment decisions, risk and return and market efficiency.
- understands the impact of corporate financing on investment decisions and firm value.
- can explain option theory and valuation.
- understands the functioning of bond markets and the valuation of bonds.
- understands theories and evidence on executive compensation.
- understands information asymmetries between managers and shareholders and their impact on corporate financing and investment policies.
- understands the implications of behavioral finance for corporate behavior.
- can explain rationales for and implications of merger and acquisition.
- can apply real options theory to investment decisions.
- can identify agency conflicts between shareholders, managers and debtholders.
- can explain corporate governance systems designed to reduce the extent of these agency conflicts.
Krav til studierett
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
One term paper (pass/fail).
Compulsory assignments that are not accepted on the first try, may be handed in a second time. To be able to get this opportunity, the student must have made a sincere effort the first time around; that is, the student must have tried to answer most of the assignment.
Approved compulsory requirements do not have time limits.
Written exam (4 hours)
The exam will be given in the language in which the course is taught.
The exam can be submitted in English. It is also possible to submit in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish.
Assessment in teaching semester.
A resit exam is arranged for students with valid absence according to UiBs study regulations § 5-5.
If a resit exam is arranged, it is available for students with the following results/absences:
- Medical certificate/valid absence
- Interrupted exam
- Fail/Not passed
If you have the right to take a resit exam and a resit exam is arranged for students with valid absence, you can register yourself in StudentWeb after January 15th/August 1st.
Hjelpemiddel til eksamen
The Department of Economics can conduct a sample of aids in the examination room.