Analytical methods and advanced modelling
- Talet på semester
Mål og innhald
The objective of this course is to provide an overview of and training in analytical tools and advanced methods that will enhance building, analyzing, and establishing confidence in formal models of complex dynamic systems.
The course uses simulation models, exercises and case studies. It allows for practical experience in using qualitative and quantitative data to formulate and test models and for practical experience with methods that are often not (or not sufficiently) covered by classical modeling courses. Students learn to assess the usefulness of different methods for different problems in organisations.
By the end of the course, the students will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of advanced contemporary approaches to estimation of model parameters, validation, sensitivity analysis, and optimization
- Apply relevant analytical approaches in small case studies .
- Interpret and discuss outcomes of those approaches.
- Critically evaluate the relative strengths and weaknesses of different analytical and modeling approaches.
- Independently identify appropriate analytical approaches for different problems in organizations and research.
- Conduct research and model-based analysis with a high degree of independence, responsibility, and reliability.
- Substantiate choice of approaches with reference to reliable data, evidence, or supporting argumentation .
- Participate in theoretical and practical discussions driven by critical thinking
- Access and interpret relevant scientific literature.
- Write and speak effectively about their work and relevant issues.
Krav til forkunnskapar
Krav til studierett
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
One week take home exam in the last (sixth) week of the course (100% of grade)
The exam assignment will be given in the language of instruction in the course.
The exam answer must be submitted in the same language as the exam assignment.