- ECTS credits
- Teaching semesters
- Course code
- Number of semesters
Objectives and Content
A student who has completed the course should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
The candidate can
- Identify and describe the concepts of bias, trust, fairness, explanation, equality and empowerment in the context of artificial intelligence
- Can discern the sub-fields of AI Ethics, their challenges and relations to social science and humanities
- Is familiar national and international AI guidelines for responsible use
- Can evaluate the algorithmic accountability of an AI system
- Can assess the possible societal and personal impact of an AI system
- Can apply tools for providing explanations of AI algorithms
- Can apply tools for assessing bias in data sets and AI algorithms
- Can comprehend and communicate the ethical and societal implication of AI to a general audience
Level of Study
Semester of Instruction
Required Previous Knowledge
Recommended Previous Knowledge
Credit Reduction due to Course Overlap
Access to the Course
The course is open to students with admission to study at the UiB. The course has 60 study places. Students who have this course as a compulsory part of their study plan (students at BASV-AIKI) will have priority access. Students at the following study programs will have second priority:
BASV-INFO, BASV-IKT, BASV-KOGNI, BASV-MIX, Bachelor's programs at the Department of Informatics and Bachelor's programs at the Department of Mathematics.
Students at other programs will have third priority.
Teaching and learning methods
Compulsory Assignments and Attendance
There will be mandatory assignments which must be completed and approved.
Mandatory participation: Active attendance at seminars and labs (at least 75%).
Approved compulsory requirements are valid for the two following semesters.
Forms of Assessment
The assessment comprises of two parts:
- Written exam (80 %)
- Individual assignment (20 %)
All parts of the assessment must be passed in the same semester.
Grades for each part of assessment and the final grade will be published in Studentweb.
The exam assignment will be given in the language of instruction in the course.
The exam answer must be submitted in the same language as the exam assignment.
Assessment in teaching semester.
A retake exam is arranged for students with valid absence according to § 5-5. If there is a retake exam, this will be available for students with the follow results/absences:
- Medical certificate/valid absence
- Interruption during the exam
If you have the right to take a retake exam and a retake exam is arranged for students with valid absences, you can sign up yourself in Studentweb after January 15/August 1.
Students with valid absence as defined in the UiB regulations § 5-5 can apply for an extended submission deadline to email@example.com. The application must be submitted before the deadline for submission has expired.