Labour Market Policies in Comparative Perspective
- Talet på semester
Mål og innhald
A student who has completed the course should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- demonstrate their understanding of central concepts as well as the main policy instruments in labour market policy;
- explain the basics of how labour markets function from an economic perspective and how work is analysed from a sociological perspective;
- present how labour market policy varies across developed countries;
- discuss how and to what extent various political actors shape labour market policy;
- critically discuss the extent, determinants, and possible policy solutions to major labour market challenges in developed countries today;
- apply the concepts and theories of labour market policy to specific empirical examples;
- critically assess media reports and policy proposals;
- synthesise theoretical and empirical material on a given topic;
- differentiate and criticise platitudes in public discourse.
Krav til forkunnskapar
Krav til studierett
Arbeids- og undervisningsformer
Hours per week: 2
Number of weeks: 10-12
A one-page policy memo
The approval of compulsory assignments has no time limit.
Take home exam (3 days, maximum 3000 words)
The exam will be given in the language in which the course is taught.
The exam can be submitted in English. It is also possible to submit in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish.
Assessment in teaching semester
A retake exam for either parts of the exam is arranged for students with a valid absence, including interruption during the exam (must be documented with a certificate from a doctor or other expert).
If there is a retake exam, students who failed the exam can sign up for the retake exam in Studentweb after August 1.